Ads

уторак, 10. јун 2014.

How to Make a Hat

Step 1: Layout of the main part of the cap

first you need to lay out the fabric and mark it for cutting. Because I created a hat with a special logo on the front my cutting is a bit more complicated, but the basics are as follows:

1. Measure around your head where you want the cap's bottom to be. Write this down somewhere you can get to it later because if you ever want to make more hats you'll appreciate not having to remeasure. For my hats I normally create one strip of fabric 23" long by 5.5" tall (I wear a size Small-Medium hat normally).
2. Using a ruler and a marker or pencil mark your cutting lines on the fabric
3. Cut out the strip(s) of fabric (in my case I made 3 pieces: two 10"x5.5" and one 4"x5.5" but normally I would only make one 23"x5.5" strip)


Step 2: Sew the top band together

Sew the fabric band together making sure to leave the good side of the fleece / fabric facing out (so basically you'll sew with the fabric laid inside-out).

If you're following what I did and using three pieces of fabric you'll get what's in the photos below, otherwise you'll have only one stitched area that will be the back of your hat.

Step 3: Finish the bottom edge of the hat

at this point it's easiest to finish the bottom edge of the hat and give it a nice looking / professional edge.

I fold and pin approximately 1" of the bottom of the band of fabric and then sew it twice; once around the upper part of the fold and once around the lower part of the fold. This gives a nice double stitch that looks good.

Нема коментара:

Постави коментар